Wednesday, June 16, 2010

And then, life happened.

It is June 16th. Just over six months since the promise to add to this blog every day and chronicle my final semester as a college student. This promise was broken. I see this as no different than the promises millions of people confidently make on new years eve as the clock strikes midnight, but quickly lose sight of just weeks later. No different than the promise people make to work harder, to take more time with family, to be better in one or more areas of their life. And the reason it becomes difficult to break old habits, to keep commitments that challenge us, or to strive to be something more than what we are is one reason - life happens. The nature of life is busy and unpredictable and sometimes it is easy to forget to be better when we are just trying to get through it all in one piece.

I have come to find there is a universal reason people find such ease in routine. It is comfortable and it does not require a lot of new thought or extra effort. It is habitual and we cling to it, crave it when it is not present and create it when change forces us out of the familiar. At the time I created this blog, I too was in a routine that kept me from taking the time to sit down and write. I put it off, I avoided it even. I am not sure exactly why but in doing so, I missed out on the kind of documentation that not only reminds me of what I did and who I did it with, but more importantly allows me to figure out who I was in that moment in time - what I thought, felt, needed, wanted, lacked, had, desired and accomplished.

Now that semester is said and done, many of those fleeting thoughts that would come to me while writing are lost, and I couldn't tell you exactly what I did, who I did it with or how I felt. I am not even sure how I feel today about the past semester that swept me up like a storm and took me for quite a ride.

But in this quiet downtime I have after graduating college, moving to Nashville, working backstage at the 2010 CMT Awards and before starting my first official job next week as an Account Manager at the A Group (my attempt to briefly catch you up) I find myself with time. Time to think, reflect and yes, be bored. In the midst of this, I clicked on the tab that leads me here, to my long forgotten blog. And I re-read the entries I diligently posted the first few days of the year.

In one of my entries I wrote about the sadness I feel the day after Christmas. I wrote, "I imagine it is similar to how a bride feels once the wedding is over, or how a college graduate feels the moment after throwing those stylistically challenged hats up in the air. Once anticipation is replaced with reality, sometimes the aftermath, as wonderful as the result might have been, is a lonely place."

I find this passage ironic because here I sit, a college graduate who threw up her hat in the rain and drove away from the small town of Elon, home to Cary, and just one week later, to Nashville. And yet the result is everything but lonely. While saying goodbye to Elon was certainly bittersweet, and undoubtedly had its emotional roller coaster of challenges, upsets, and wonderful victories, I find myself surrounded by possibility and reveling in the time to be alone, think, and reflect on it all.

After reading these old entries, I decided to revamp the blog and make it new to represent the new city I live in and the new journey I am embarking on. I decided to title it "Music City lost and found," because for me, blogging and writing in general is a road map. It helps me to find myself, to figure out what is missing, what is abundant, what is trivial and what is important. When I feel lost, I come back to these entries and passages and I find the pieces of me that sometimes slip through the cracks.

I am not going to make any promises this time. I am not sure how often I will write, if it will be interesting, if it will be followed or read. I am not sure the content or context, but I am excited to get back to writing. And instead of letting life just happen, I intend instead to share it with you.

2 comments:

  1. This is sooo amazing. This should be published. You are an artist..with the written word. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete