Monday, June 21, 2010

Out-of-state and out of my mind.

Today was my last official day of what everyone is calling "freedom" before I start my first day at my new job tomorrow. And how do I spend it?! Trying to get my license and registration taken care of, all the while on the phone with an incompetent insurance company that drove me up a wall. Try insuring that ;) Three hours later, once my account was all approved, I literally wanted to run a car into their place of work and make them pay for the damage. And on top of that, I went through the whole process of getting renters insurance for my apartment, only to find that we already have it. Awesome.

Here is the ting - I am someone who needs direction with completely unknown tasks (hence my intense love for my GPS). When I have a lot of follow-up questions I just need a live person telling me exactly what I need and not some automated lady telling me to press 2 for an option that has nothing to do with what I am asking. So today, I told the no name pre-recorded bimbo NO! I don't want to press 2. And as I screamed OPERATOR through the receiver and she calmly replied that she is "sorry" but that is not an option, I decided once and for all that she is not really sorry, that she is in fact mocking me, and that customer service has gone out the window, along with my patience.

Hostile. I know. But seriously - this whole being an adult, moving and figuring everything out on your own is one big disaster. But I will do it. I am a smart girl. The problem is, I can be slightly impatient and forget to think things all the way through in an effort to get things done. They call this ambition, drive, multi-tasking, right?! Okay, yes, but my rush to the finish line can sometimes get me into trouble.

Like today, when I confused which documents the lady said I needed for the county clerks to register my car with those I needed for the DMV to get a license. Note to all those young grads dealing with things they never thought twice about in the "fake" world: Apparently the DMV needs TWO proofs of residency, but to register your car you only need one. Don't get this confused or you will end up like me - waiting in LITERALLY 100 degree weather outside (because it was so busy that the seats were all taken inside) in a line of people for over an hour at the DMV, only to get to the front desk one pay stub or addressed ANYTHING short of sanity. What a complete waste of time.

I am literally taking deep breaths as I write. And yet, the breakdown I had in the car following the DMV debacle was probably just what I needed. While the license will have to wait until I get another piece of mail (someone send me something please... anything!), I was able to make it just before closing time to the county clerks with the right documents all ready and labeled. Now I am the proud owner of a Davidson County license plate - a true resident. Until one year from today when I have to wait in line all over again to keep it that way... rude Nashville. Just rude.

Why can't this all be a one stop shop? Someone needs to invent an Ikea version of motor vehicle service - from repairs, to license, to registration, to emissions checks, to plates, all in one easy, air-conditioned, happy location with a food court, naturally. Anyone want to get on that?

Other than that I am going to keep this short and sweet because tomorrow is my first day and I want to be all bright-eyed and looking ready to conquer the world - which after today, seems a feat easier than being a new resident with a car in Nashville, TN.

1 comment: