Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Where does the time go?

And just like that a week goes by.... It amazes me how quickly the summer days fly away from me without me even truly realizing it. June is almost over - that is unreal. And while this summer is certainly not short on heat and humidity, it is short on time for me to sit down and write. But we all know that having a busy balance is the way I like to live. I love plans, I love looking forward to things, and I love routine. All of those things have been happening, which makes Nashville feel more and more like home every day.

Things have been so crazy recently with the start of my new job last week. I am really enjoying the work, the people I work with and even the schedule. Getting up everyday at 5:30pm to go to the gym is tough, but then again, by doing so I save myself the rush hour traffic that would force me to leave the house pretty early anyways, and at least I get my workout over with before the day even feels like it starts.

I am finally starting to get into some real client interaction at work, which feels productive and fulfilling, and I think I am going to really like the routine and the purpose I feel while at work. The days go by pretty quickly too. The truth is, I am used to the summer 9 to 5 job because of my internships in the past, so it is not a huge culture shock. But there are two major differences this time around that separate this job from anything else I have ever done before: #1 I will not be going back to school in the fall, AND #2: DRUM ROLL PLEASE.... I GET PAID. Today I received my first pay check for my first serious job and it was the most incredible feeling to have a check after only one week of work, and on top of that, to have that check be substantial! It was such a pleasant surprise. On top of that, my sister introduced me to slacker radio and her "chill" playlist, which kept me bopping in my chair the whole day to Billy Joel, Phil Collins, James Taylor, Michael Buble, Frank Sinatra, Ingrid Michaelson, and even good old Mandy Moore. The best part is, I laugh a lot at work because I just love the people. It is a happy place to be.

My weekends have been very eventful too! I am so lucky to have jumped into this new life pretty smoothly, having already had amazing friends from last summer that I kept in touch with this past year. They have been so much of why I love it here, and so having them is the best feeling in the world. Recently we have been going out to dinner, bars, going to church together, having mexican and movie nights, and just enjoying the summer.

I have also been trying new things which is really exciting - last weekend Anna and I went white water rafting with a bunch of her friends and it was amazing! We navigated the olympic course and no one fell out of the raft, which apparently is an extremely hard feat because of the severe nature of the rapids. It is actually a really dangerous activity. Let's put it this way - it is no Splash Mountain. And to top off the waiver signing our life away and the major safety pep talk in which we were informed that people have died doing this - it was also our guides first time out on the river - a fun fact she proceeded to tell us after we made it safely down thank goodness. I think if she through that fun fact in with the death threats, I would have turned right around and gotten back on the bus. With that being said, I am glad we all made it through without a scratch. My head, however, had a couple of bangs from Max accidentally ramming his paddle into the back of my helmet, but other than that, I was injury-free.

In the midst of all of this, I must go back even further to two weeks ago when I went home to NC for Andrea's wedding - it was the most beautiful wedding - truly romantic in every sense of the word. There was such thought put into every detail, from the decor and the flowers, to the traditional church ceremony and the gorgeous reception, it was all just breath-taking. As was Andrea, who never ceases to amaze me with her calm, collected and grateful demeanor. Such a fun time - dancing and letting loose and celebrating one of my best friends finding the love of her life and becoming a wife! So surreal and yet, after being at the wedding I can truly see that it is so right for her.

So, yes, I know it has been a little while since I last wrote, but I am trying to be better about updates, and soon I want to add pictures too! With Monica coming to visit for the fourth of July weekend tomorrow, I am certain that there will be a lot to catch you up on. And as the middle of the summer approaches, I think I will continue full speed ahead and live this time to the fullest because you only have your first summer as a true adult once, and I intend to make mine memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment