Since when did we stop treating life like an adventure? Going to new places, meeting new people, feeling every emotion humanly possible all in the same breath - and subsequently unveiling layers of ourselves we didn't know existed - that is the kind of invigoration I want to seek from everyday. That is how I should look at this next chapter.
My move to Nashville has certainly been a transitional period and when explaining that to others, I find myself sighing, grunting, explaining that it is not easy being on my own. That yes I am "happy" but that I am also really confused, always doubting and questioning what I am doing with my life, if this is where I am supposed to be. It is really tough navigating the in between with security, confidence and grace.
![]() |
| The lovely streets of London |
I think our culture fixates so much on the lulls, the funks, the relentless self doubt, the mistaken identities, loneliness or loss, and forgets to find contentment in the now and possibility in the tomorrow. Especially people my age - we are a generation of the "right now." We want everything this instant - from the fastest and latest technologies, to our deep desire to connect with people and feel a sense of belonging right away through social networking, to even just my inability to cook from a recipe rather than heat up a lean pocket that only takes two minutes before it's ready (pathetic, I know...) I think we forget that life does not work that way. You can't google "my future" and have a series of items pop up all nicely laid out for you, itemized by popularity, with maps and visuals and pages of answers.... it just doesn't work that way - clearly:
Rather, the most incredible experiences are unknown - and they may not be happening "right now" and that is okay. That does not mean that life right now should not be valued, but it does mean that for now does not mean forever.
There is possibility at every turn. I wish I had the perspective to treat each day - mundane as it may seem - feeling excited and treating my life like the adventure it is. I can do anything I want with my life - especially since I have no significant other, kids or criminal records :) What I often consider to be a quarter life crisis should really be seen as a gift. I have no idea what is inside, what is yet to be and how my past experiences have prepared me for it. But with a smile instead of a frown, with a laugh instead of a sigh, with courage instead of fear, I say, bring it on. Don't hold back. I am ready.


No comments:
Post a Comment