Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Is bigger truly better?

I just had the most amazing weekend in Boston visiting my sister. My parents and I all flew up and met up with Lynn unexpectedly at the crack of dawn on Friday morning (instead of flying out on Friday evening as planned) to beat Hurricane Earl - the hurricane that was a hurriCAN'T.... seriously. It rained... oooo! Big freakin deal. While this was certainly not the storm of epic proportions as predicted, I was secretly glad that I was able to get to Boston early on Friday and spend an extra day with my sister and parents - in the most awesome city.

We had absolutely beautiful weather. I was going to move on, but we need to stop and talk more about the weather because it was just that amazing. The temperature was a perfect 75 to 80 degrees and sunny with a refreshing wind. I have never felt as starved for fall as I have the past couple of weeks and this was the most welcome retreat from the heat of the south. I felt free and carefree.

We walked all around the city - through Quincey Market, Boston Common park, Newbury Street (which is like the Rodeo drive in Boston) and all along the Charles River overlooking the wharf. We took a dinner boat cruise, went out on the town with Lynn's friends (well for those of us who made it out ;) and oh how we ate. Basically the entire weekend was Jenny v. Food. And Jenny won. I indulged in every dessert, every drink and every entree I wanted. Seriously, I still feel full from the amazing incredible meals we had! It was the most delicious and much needed long weekend.

Boston reminded me so much of the feeling I had when I lived in London! The T was just like the tube - the historical and quaint streets were reminiscent of those I walked everyday while abroad. And while I know that London is certainly much older than Boston, there is some logic in my comparison seeing as the first colonists came over from Britain, and naturally would have modeled the city off of the architecture and culture of home. The whole experience reminded me of how happy I was in London - surrounded by millions of people walking into work everyday, taking public transportation and feeling apart of the heartbeat of the city. It made me wonder if I would be happier in a bigger city where there is something new to discover at every turn. There is something about the possibility and potential of being in a new place that invigorates me and makes me feel alive. Plus, being close to my sister would also be amazing. This is so stupidly silly, but I want to feel like Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City - I want to be obsessed with my city. And seeing what else is out there makes me wonder what else is out there for me.

I love Nashville, do not get me wrong. And I foresee myself here for a while. I think it has simply become a little stale - the charm of the city sucked up by the exhaustion and routine of my everyday life and the slight let down of not having the most glamorous job (while I love my job, it is just not exactly what I thought I would be doing).

I think I need to play again and continue to treat this city like it is my playground and not simply my place of residence. I need to continue to explore, go out and have fun, walk through centennial park, and discover new places. Surely, I have not done it all. I have to get back to remembering why it is I love this city. And I do. But maybe I love my sister more? (haha, she would love that).

It is interesting, because I think once you live in a place long enough to call it home, you stop taking advantage of all that place has to offer. Humans are creatures of habit and comfort that typically find what they love and stick to it.

For 15 years I lived in CT and every time we would go into NYC as a family we would see a show and walk down Times Square, but we never went to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty, because we were so close, and simply figured we would do it eventually. We suddenly moved to NC, and I am yet to go to those places. Not to mention, I always remember loving Elon more when I was showing the campus to someone else - seeing it again with a fresh perspective. Remember taking college tours as a highschooler? How exciting they were, picturing yourself calling that place yours? It is so exciting and idealistic - and even sometimes a fantasy that is unrealistic. But I think when you are truly where you belong, that feeling is reality.

And I think it is funny, because looking like a tourist is a big no no in our society. No one wants to look out of place. Except I think people forget that sometimes being a tourist in your own town is the way to fall in love with it. So what it all boils down to is that this trip to Boston has made me realize that it is now time for me to stop being a grandma and start reigniting the flame of my romance with Nashville. And maybe find some real romance along the way? That certainly wouldn't hurt...

And maybe that is the beauty of going somewhere bigger for just a little while - you can appreciate it just long enough to know that home is where the heart is. You can walk the streets just long enough to feel alive before feeling lost and gobbled up - and freezing cold, which is exactly how I would feel come February in Boston.

So I do believe in my heart that I am where I am supposed to be for now. But for now does not mean forever, right? And that, is the most exciting part of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment