![]() |
| Lucky bitch. |
Let's talk about new starts. I will be honest - beginning a new adventures is scary. I mean - we can't all be like Dora and be bi-lingual and have pet monkey friends and talking maps and wear the same thing every day. In real life, things take time to settle-in and adjust before it starts to feel real and rewarding and right. I'm sure you can relate - the first day of school usually bites despite the fact you picked out a new outfit from Limited Too. The first day back at the gym after a long hiatus - pretty painful. The first day of your period is always rough - yep, I went there. Your first time.... okay I'm going to stop now. This is getting inappropriate.
The point is, beginnings and uncharted territory is not always my favorite, because it puts you in a very vulnerable state. Time to sink or swim.
However, despite my aversion to change, overall things are going really well. I have settled into a new gym routine (catch up with me tomorrow for those highlights), I absolutely love my office, the location and the people are great. I am learning a lot and adjusting. And of course - participating in "Beer Fridays" which is a lot of fun. Great company culture here! My client account is also very interesting - but wow. I have a lot to learn.
But of course in true fashion, the past few weeks have also had its moments where I thought to myself - happy hour is about to be real kinds of happy tonight.
Here are some of those moments in no particular order:
![]() |
| Repeat Offender. |
2. I am a friendly girl and want to make sure I introduce myself and make friends. I have never worked at such a large company, and so I knew I had some ground to cover over time. However, at some points.. let's just say I was a bit too thorough.
Kitchen run-in scenario:
(Notice new person lurking by the coffee)
Jenny: (big smile) Oh hi, I'm Jenny - the new girl! (giggle giggle, feel out the hand shake, strong eye contact)
Co-Worker: Yeah, I know - we met yesterday.
Jenny: (giggle, giggle, ABORT SITUATION, stare deeper into their eyes to make name / face recognition stick, come up with something witty to say, settle on:) Oh of course. Well have a great day (repeat name and commit it to memory. Leave quickly).
[Awesome].
3. I came to BOHAN from a technology agency. I like to think I am savvy and pretty technologically skilled. Well the color printer decided to take that notion and shove it up my ass. On my second day, my boss comes in and asks me to print off copies of a report at the color printer upstairs. Easy enough. I got this. He's gonna think I'm awesome when he sees how efficiently I respond to tasks.... (because printing is impressive?! I don't know... delusional first-week thinking).
So, I immediately pull up the report and press print. I am wearing four inch heels and feel my calves talk to me as I climb up the stairs. There is an elevator, but the stairs are right outside my office and I'm super athletic. I got this. I arrive. The report is not there. I go back down. I make sure everything is selected correctly, and I press print again. I walk back up the stairs. Not there. I come back down. I call the tech guy. He comes down. Repeat previous scenario about 10 times. I kid you not. I had an inexplicable rage for the "random" printer behavior.
Fear not friends, overall, I am really enjoying my position, the account, and the team. And even the printer has come around.



No comments:
Post a Comment