Friday, June 1, 2012

Carolina Beach Part 2: Parents, tequila shots and baby sharks

My sweet parents
When you are in a relationship it is always a bit nerve-wrecking to meet the parents - of course you want them to like you, you hope you don't say anything stupid, or accidentally cuss, toot or burp or get in a traffic accident while driving them to dinner (its my driving anxiety kicking in again ;). Luckily for Weston and me, both of our parents are great and seem to like us (as far as I know ;). But then there comes that next level - the parents meeting the parents. The control is no longer on you to make the impression - you have to just pray that they all like each other so that in the event you end up with that person you are both not dealing with ying and yang in-laws for the rest of your life. And all the while you still have to keep in mind those key reminders to personally not say anything stupid, cuss, toot, burp, or injure anyone. It can be a lot of pressure...

Weston's sweet parents
BUT, I was lucky and despite some momentary hiccups, very pleased with the outcome.

So Part Two, begins (read Part 1 here):

After burning the crap out of my shin, eating the most amazing donuts of my life, laughing, playing games (some of which involved staring at the moving Direct TV screen-saver since the satellite didn't work - don't ask), getting to know Alisa and Jim (who are so much fun), it was time for the arrival of my parents, and we were ready. Weston and I had gotten lots of snacks (and alcohol) as an excuse to jet-set around the town in Jim's red corvette (a dream ride) and Teresa was hard at work in the kitchen making savory pork chops, fresh peas, squash and potatoes from the garden back home. I was so excited to see my parents, and "not nervous at all" for them to meet the Howards - including Aunt Kris and Uncle Dewayne who showed up to join the fun!

There was not a lot that went wrong that night, but everything that did, went wrong in the first ten minutes of their arrival:

See mom, I'm a wino too!
1. I nervously introduced Alisa as Jim's wife. Yep. They're not married...yet! We're working on it :)

2. Don was confused as to which man was Weston's dad.

3.  As my mom walked through the door, the alarm company called to inform her that a door at our home in Cary was open and our pets might be running around the neighborhood. She may or may not have started to cry.

4. Once the animals were secured, we all took tequila shots (see #6).

5. I accidentally called my mom a "Wino" to the crowd, thinking I was complimenting her savvy and sophisticated pallet for wine. "Wino" is a term for an alcoholic. (enter tequila shot number two). Then the cork broke in the bottle while trying to open the wine. (tequila shot number 3?)

6. I may or may not have referenced having Weston's child at dinner - my filter was a casualty of the tequila shots.

But overall it was a complete blast. Everyone got along really well, and all of my stupid worries were for nothing. We had an amazing meal, good wine, fun games and of course the next morning, walked to Britt's Donuts for round two at the donut crack shack.

My parents left early Sunday afternoon, but my mom and I were able to squeeze in a nice long walk on the beach while Don played poker with the gang. After they left, we went back on the beach for a bit, and then had an awesome dinner at Michael's Seafood Restaurant - home of the #1 seafood chowder in the WORLD - literally. And it was amazing.

To cap off our trip, we went down to the pier and beneath the bright stars and crisp air we cast a line and fished! This was my first fishing experience and I did... well.. horribly. I did not catch one fish. Meanwhile, Alisa is freakin olympic at her first time fishing and caught over 15 fish that night, of three different varieties - including a baby shark! Granted they stayed out there until 2am and Teresa, Jim and I went in around midnight, but still. STILL. I sucked.

It was such an awesome weekend, I wish I could go back (maybe minus the tequila shots) and do it all again. From Tunica to Carolina beach, where the Howards and Jenny go, fun is sure to follow :)

We cannot wait to make another trip home to NC in October for Jim and Alisa's Oktoberfest party! Tickets are already booked and it cannot get here soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment