Thursday, December 15, 2011

Shaking and Baking

Avoid the PCD and start now!
So here we are in the heart of December and as we rest (or race around as the case may be) and revel in all of the magic of the season, I find myself already feeling the looming shift into 2012.

There is just over two weeks left to 2011 and then what I call "the dark age" sets in. January is my absolutely least favorite month because typically I wake up on January 1st, tired (hung over) from the new years eve celebrations, and exhausted from the epic events of the month before. But mostly, I feel overwhelmed with what it means to face a brand new year - the pressure to seize the opportunity to make this year better than the last. Partner this pressure of self improvement (typically losing all the holiday pounds) and goal setting (aka trying to be a more well-rounded and happy person) with the cold and dreary weather and what you have is a recipe for PCD - post Christmas depression.

Having experienced this for years, I have made a decision to preemptively prepare for PCD and here is my step by step plan.

Best decision. Spotify rocks my socks.
1. Start weening off the Christmas music slowly: I realize that initially this idea sounds ridiculous. However, I have been listening to Christmas music since midnight Halloween. So naturally you can imagine I have been living in a euphoric and melodic world of magical sounds for two whole months. Often times I am sitting in the car and the radio will play a non-Christmas song and I feel like the radio people are violating my senses. MUST CHANGE CHANNEL OR PUT ON CELINE CHRISTMAS IPOD PLAYLIST IMMEDIATELY. However, recently I have decided that this feeling of violation only escalates come December 26th causing a dark feeling deep down inside. The Christmas commercials are suddenly gone, and the music is shut down and it is so sad. So start preparing awesome post Christmas playlists now (and DVR your TV shows to blast through the boring January ads). Suggestion: I subscribed to spotify, explored some new music and made some awesome new workout lists to enjoy and I am pumped. This brings me to my next step....


Yeah. So should you.
2. Get to the gym: If you resolve to lose weight after the holidays and you keep telling yourself - "I'll just do it in January and join the HOARDS of people who crowd the gym locker rooms pissing off the regulars in an overwhelming effort to start a "good habit," which will realistically only last one month" - reconsider this plan and become a regular now. There are two weeks left to December and if you work out just three times each of those weeks you will have already conquered the hardest part - the first two weeks of getting into a routine. You will also help curb those Christmas feast calories and be more motivated to make smarter choices. Of course - indulge and enjoy! My motto is, a little exercise is better than nothing and YES it is worth it. Endorphins are magical. And, when you step on the scale on January 1st you won't feel like you have a huge mountain to climb because you will have already started the journey to help maintain. Also - the regulars at the gym will have gotten used to seeing your face around and won't scorn your presence (Trust me, this is key for locker room acceptance).

My pork chops, brussel sprouts, carrots and dip!
3. Tackle a new hobby now: Christmas is a great time to try something new. If you resolve to learn how to play an instrument, start with jingle bells! If you want to start volunteering more regularly, there are so many great opportunities in December. Or, if you are like me and want to learn how to cook, get a recipe, conquer the fear, stare the stove in the face and DO IT! Last night I decided to bite the bullet and abandon the frozen food aisle for a night. Yes, it was a little scary to enter the real meat section and assess the poultry and pork - foreign territory for the microwave queen. However, I DID IT! I shaked and baked delicious pork and brussel sprouts to perfection and I did not burn a thing. While my meat and veggies were cooking, I prepared a funfetti cake for our small group Christmas party tonight (which I can indulge in guilt-free because of #2 above). I cracked the eggs like a pro (aka, it was a close call but I successfully didn't get any shells in the batter) and when my dinner was ready, I popped the cake in, baked and frosted my masterpiece. For a night, I was Paula Dean. I owned that kitchen and it was empowering (and I may have talked to myself out loud to prepare for my destiny as a food network star). Basically I am a chef now and have been bit by the culinary bug. Why wait for January 1st when the task feels looming and daunting? Get in the kitchen (or pick up the jingle bells!)

So in conclusion - start now. Sometimes we fail at things we hope to achieve when there is build up and pressure.You don't need a new year to become a new you. And also remember, you are pretty awesome right in this moment and the new year should not make you feel anything less than simply inspired. How do I know you're awesome? Well, you're reading my blog, so deductive reasoning concludes you are pretty fantastic.

(Afterword: If you couldn't tell, updating my blog more often is yet another resolution of mine. And here I am, not on January 1st but on Dec 15th. So yeah.. I follow my own plan people :) and you should too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment