![]() |
| "Cause you're EVERYWHERE TO ME" |
The six strings came tightly raveled in this cute little case (I'm sure most elite guitarists would agree it is a "super cute" little case) and I was excited to find the tiny pliers from my hot pink Barbie tool kit, YouTube "how to re-string a guitar," and reignite my passion for playing (anonymously in my apartment of course. In this town you don't announce you play guitar if you have a voice made for musical-theater in the shower and your best tunes are Michelle Branch covers... it just doesn't quite "wow" music city, ya know?!).
But in the whirlwind of life (and sadly, without the proper pliers - THANKS FOR NOTHING BABS), my guitar sat in my living room corner, a finger death trap just collecting dust. Until yesterday. For those of you, like me, who aren't on the "math train" - that is OVER A YEAR - whaaa?!?!
So what changed? Why now?
This deployment has been such a grueling yet enlightening experience. In so many ways the 20-something woman's quest for love, booze and social fulfillment takes precedence over quality time with ourselves and our passions (you might be the self-actualized exception to this rule and if so - my sincere admiration). It is easy to lose ourselves when trying to "find" someone else. But when you have found "the one" and then he gets shipped off to a far far away magical and safe land called Afghanistan, the idle time and loneliness of watching Full House re-runs in your apartment can become seriously depressing. You start to ask yourself questions like - Who am I? and How can I find my own sense of fulfillment and happiness all by myself?
Okay, before you cue up the Celine Dion power ballad - hear me out. I have tons of amazing and supportive friends, all in different stages of life who have been such a life-line through this "unique" experience (just trying to get some points for being positive here). But those quiet moments alone, uninterrupted by the haze of hangovers, new flings or crazy nights out on the town, truly illuminate where we are missing the connection with ourselves. I had let that guitar just sit in the corner, and in doing so forgot about the love story I share with music and the love story I share with myself.
Whatever your "guitar" is - that thing you have been putting off because you don't feel like you're good enough, you don't have the time, or you just don't know where to start - find some "pliers," (or in my case, a friend who knew what the heck to do) some courage and some time. Do the things you love - even if that means dancing alone in your living room (or singing Wicked in the shower... just a suggestion). You just might find the things you love bring you someone to love, a job to love, or even better, allow you to fall in love with yourself all over again.


No comments:
Post a Comment