![]() |
| Just as hard to resist as eating cheese with every meal. |
This got me to thinking - why is it sometimes so hard to simply start? Start the day. Start the workout. Start the paper, the song, the email, the phone call. Start this entry.
This morning as the alarm clock went off, every fiber of my being resisted simply opening my eyes and turning my feet to the ground. I'd hit snooze, and the anticipation of the next jarring sound striking like lightening on my REM sleep was almost worse than simply getting out of bed. I sit here now wondering why I insist on snoozing for sometimes a whole two hours in the morning (I know - so stupid. But when I'm lazy and decide that morning to skip the gym, I will snooze on ten minute intervals from 5:00am to 7:00am - talk about trippy dreams). Wouldn't it be easier to just get out of bed and get it over with? Once you do, it's never as bad as you think it's going to be.
To this point, I was a competitive swimmer in high school and my event was the 100 butterfly. The day of a meet, I would be so stressed, I would feel like I was going to vomit the whole day. On the starting block my heart would be racing out of my chest. But the moment I hit that water, I took off. Everything else melted away and I found the strength to finish. All of that stress and worry was wasted. Yes, sometimes I'd win, and sometimes I'd come in short - but I would always finish the race despite my fears of passing out mid-lane like a dead fish. I had a lot of pride in simply leaving the block. So that is what I finally decided to do here - sit down and start writing and get out there whatever it is that flew from my finger tips. You may not have laughed, but maybe you will be inspired to start something with the simple wistful intention to just begin.

No comments:
Post a Comment