Bad moods are contagious. When people around you are in a bad mood, it can absolutely spread like a wild fire. I understand there are moments in life when certain situations nick you like a dull razor blade, and this thing can put you immediately in a bad mood. It is hard in that moment in which you feel a fire ignite inside you to diffuse the flames, smile and move forward with a positive attitude. But snapping out of these moods when you are at the office or at work is a must. I am no saint, but even when my patience is a shallow puddle and my sassy streak is a pool, I lock it up around my clients. Some people don't understand this concept. Which is why this morning, I wanted to get my sadistic Pilates instructor fired. (side note: I did not).
 |
| No. 75 year old's can't do this. |
Before you judge that volatile statement, let me explain. At 5:20am my alarm clock rings like a shot gun piercing through the quiet and in this moment, I kind of want to be a drama baby and cry. But then I drag myself out of bed, knowing that working out is fostering a healthy lifestyle, being proactive and kick starting my energy for the work day. I get out of bed, and I drive to the gym in a bit of a foggy coma (drivers... beware) for my Tuesday, Thursday Pilates class. This should be "Jenny time." A time in which I can center and feel good about making it to the gym, but this instructor does not share this mentality. She acts like she would rather be ANYWHERE else. She is less an instructor and more a ruthless and bitter drill Sargent who is ripped, more flexible than stretch Armstrong and, well, simply negative. Just plain mean. Her tone of voice is sarcastic, her instructions are condescending and don't dare suggest or ask a question. Today, I simply could not take it. I was one comment away from busting out in the T Swift song. But then I remembered I had not warmed up my vocals, so I refrained ;)
 |
| She should just be in the circus. |
There are literally 60 - 75 year old women in this class who should get a medal for simply showing up and trying to move their bodies at 7am, but instead, Miss Flexy wants to make them cry. Listen - just because you are a 20 year old track star who is bitter you missed your calling with Cirque du Soleil does not mean you get to treat your clients like worthless flap jacks. We. Are. Trying. If I treated my clients the way she acts in that class, I would not have my job. It simply baffles me. Suck it up. Smile. Be warm and kind and inspiring. This is the YMCA, not Fort Brag.
You might be asking yourself - then why go back to the class? But the movements of Pilates is really body-changing and I love it. Her music choice is also fantastic. I just need to find a way to slip her a prozac or a tequila shot. Maybe then she would be sweet? Less of a punisher, more of an instructor?
Maybe we can all learn from this and remind ourselves that attitude and tone are such important factors to creating a positive and happy life for you and the people around you. I know I can certainly work on being a more patient, kind and understanding person. In fact, this post is a pure example of my own weakness - I should pray for this girl and not blast her on my blog. But you know what, I am not that self-actualized yet. If she can't suck it up and smile, well then just this once - neither can I.
Maybe she needs a hug? Maybe I should just walk in and offer her a hug at the start of the next class? Something tells me she might whip out a Pilates move in "self defense" disabling my ability to move. For the rest of my life. Yeah. Not a good idea.
Share a smile today. Even if you don't think there is one left in you, stretch yourself to spread the joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment