There are two kinds of people in the world of communication - phone people and non-phone people. I live my life attached to my cellular device, tickled by the sound of its jolly ringtone, and even more jazzed at the sight of the flashing notifications from my caller id that someone would like to talk to me. It makes me feel special and I truly don't mind it one bit. And on the rare occasion I do not want to talk to anyone, I turn it on silent and call it a day. But these instances are rare, because I really do enjoy the mystery that ensues just before answering a call, followed by the connection I feel as I hang up after catching up with a close friend. There is no response lag time like there is with texts. There is no questioning tone of voice. Things are more instant. Things get done and figured out. Things in life are more awesome.
So yes, I know, big surprise! - miss chatty over here likes the phone. But its true. I love talking on the phone, and I find any excuse to do it. If I am driving, if I am grocery shopping, when I wake up, when I go to bed, there is always someone to talk to because of the wonderful invention of the telephone. I find that things are not real in my world unless I am sharing it with others. Call me codependent or a little crazy, but the phone is what helps me to feel connected and grounded. Call me whatever you would like - or you know what, just call me, because I will pick up and we'll have a lovely chat.
 |
| Genius. |
As for you non-phone people, I don't understand you. My sister is among this interesting segment of people who are not as amused by the sound of my voice as I am. These people do not appreciate my long winded and highly entertaining stories in which I rarely take a breath. And it baffles me. Truly. Not to mention the people who don't know how to respond following a story - SAY SOMETHING. ANYTHING. A "wow, that's (fill in relevant adjective)" followed with an appropriate follow-up question is ALL IT TAKES. Did they not got over this in school?
Basically, I am naming my three children Alexander, Graham, and Bell.
No comments:
Post a Comment