They say when God closes a door, he opens a window.
Most of the time the "they say" sentiments I hear in everyday life, communicated sincerely as coping mechanisms through trials and confusing moments, are sadly received as absolute cliches, over spoken, and often hard to not classify absolute crap. "It happens when you least expect it" is my favorite... what does that even mean?! The control freak in me wants to train myself to be non-expectant simply so I can be "not expecting" the thing I desire, and then trick the universe into giving me what I am actually expecting all along. I realize it doesn't work this way, but in my mind, it all makes perfect sense.
But I do believe this one to be true. As someone who has watched doors close in life, some very slowly, inching toward the frame discretely over time, and others more abruptly, slamming shut with a burst of wind in its path, I have come to find neither are particularly easy and both take processing. Even when trying with all my might to resist or even pry the door back open, in hindsight the door has admittedly shut for a reason. And in the darkness of the threshold of change, loss, disappointment or discouragement is often when I have seen the light in my life shine the brightest.
So if you are standing face to face with a shut door today, take a step back and sit in its darkness for a moment. Pound its surface if you have to, twist the knob, take the time to stare it down, memorize its nooks and crannies, and accept its scars.
But remember through it all that the windows are worth waiting for, being patient for, and praying for. The windows are why we wake up in the morning. And the windows will open. They always do.

No comments:
Post a Comment