![]() |
| Reason #456 I am not ready to own an animal. |
What I am learning through their experience is just how universal adjustment truly is. Despite the vast difference in potential subject matter - be it a new puppy, child, job, relationship, geographic move or grief, death, heartbreak, separation (the list goes on and on) - each change in our life's landscape involves navigating uncharted territory. Adjustment is a long, winding journey that shapes, grows and magnifies our strengths and weaknesses. It is exhausting in the most miserably beautiful way.
I am a person who likes to be in control. No, this does not make me a control "freak." I think the word "freak" is not a very nice word to call someone. Okay, fine. I'm a control freak (with the bizarre exception being I hate to drive, but that is probably because I feel more in control of the music from the passenger seat). But inevitably (and we have all been there) life throws you a "new puppy" and you have absolutely ZERO control over the crazy pooping, peeing, biting little angel (for those of you feeling a little lost, my puppy is named deployment).
You have to dig deep to find a unique kind of patience you didn't know even existed. You have to read books to prepare, change your way of thinking, shift your behavior - you have to essentially take your emotions to boot camp. And guess what - this control freak HATES BOOT CAMP. I have some legit hostility toward those big muscley meaty dudes / Jillian Michaels SCREAMING AT ME telling me to push through the pain to build a muscle I'm not entirely sure I even want! Unfortunately, some things in life require just that - to push through to get to the light at the end of the tunnel.
But the beautiful thing I am learning by hugging and laughing with my crazy friends just trying to sleep through the night with a new puppy, is that I am not alone. Life is one big roller coaster of adjustment, and we are all somewhere in the up or down season. Some hide their transition remarkably better than others. Some have post-it notes of positive mantras all over their desk at work to stay focused on the light at the end of the tunnel (don't assume that by "some" I mean me... I mean... okay. Fine. Yes... post-it notes are EVERYWHERE - but I'll tell you what, they are a lot less irritating than Jillian Michaels).
But regardless of how you deal with your growing pains, just remember, you're not alone, and even if the tunnel feels really freakin long, the light is there, waiting for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment