Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mind over matter.

Mind. Blown.
I watched the marathon this weekend with some friends on a balcony overlooking the ten mile mark. With mimosas in hands, we stood there, absolutely amazed by the determination and will of the endless stream of runners as they turned the corner at the top of the Gulch, pouring into the street for hours. Some were coasting along, throwing their arms in the air. Others were pushing strollers, supporting causes. There were tutus and capes and even courageous people powering through injuries they must have encountered miles before. The sheer flood of energy and unity (potentially heightened by my intake of alcohol before 10:00 a.m.) made for an extremely emotional experience.

Standing on that balcony in our sweatpants, having just feasted on pancakes, we couldn't help but laugh at the dichotomy between us and the runners busting their butts below. We talked about how we would never survive a half, let alone a full marathon. "I am a swimmer, not a runner." "I would literally die at mile three!" "They would have to pick me up out of the fetal position and carry me across the finish line." "I just don't know how these runners are functioning." "I have bad knees." Okay fine, all of these comments might have come from me - but everyone agreed - it seemed a task unimaginable for us mimosa-professionals to endure.

And that is when one of our more wise friends chimed in - "It is all mind over matter... You could do it, if you just set your mind to it." Immediately, all of my rebuttals rose to the surface - "but... SWIMMER.....no way.... not me....FETAL POSITION." But before my usual excuses could come out of my mouth, I stopped, looked down and considered it.... Then I had another mimosa.

But I've been thinking a lot this week about that idea - mind over matter - particularly on mile 1.5 on the treadmill last night when feeling as if my will to live was slowly sinking into oblivion as I pounded the belt. Do our minds really have the power to control our physical reaction to challenging situations? Could I really run 13.1 miles (with the proper training, despite my "swimmer" identity?) And does this apply to all areas of life?

I'm sorry.... but you're wrong.
I believe that it does, but to see it truly take shape in a positive way, we have to first re-frame our thoughts and re-program all of the resistance we put on ourselves through doubt and fear. All of those beliefs I have about "not being a runner" are true because I believe them to be true - and therefore my body has a very negative (on the verge of hostile) physical reaction to running. But what if I changed my thoughts? Have you ever had an experience when by simply telling yourself "I can do this" you suddenly felt the strength to push a little further? Look at me - enduring a deployment, when I literally told all of my army wife friends years before I even met Erik that I could NEVER do it. You guys - I'm starting to think Taylor Swift has it all wrong - you should NEVER say never.

Whether it is running a race, or simply navigating the race of life, it is incredibly admirable to see people who do not live in self-doubt but rather stride with faith, courage and confidence through challenging situations. It is not easy to achieve, but if we work on putting our minds in the right place, anything is possible. Those runners crossed the finish line. Whatever your finish line is - believe you can too, and you will find yourself on the other side having conquered the matter with the power of your mind, and hopefully enjoying a mimosa!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, y'all cheering us on helped to keep us going!! And I promise you, running is 90% mental. You got this!

    ReplyDelete