Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reduced Fat Tuesday.

Even though it is raining outside for the millionth day in a row, there is no way I could not be happy on a day like today in which people all over the world are encouraged to pig out to prepare for Lent. Most people call this Fat Tuesday. I call this The. Best. Tuesday. Ever.

So as I sit here at the end of the work day, without the string of cheap necklaces I typically like to sport on this festive day, I find myself in a quandary - do I fight through the rain and go to the gym since I did not make it there this morning, OR do I go home, get in my PJ's and eat in abundance everything in my cabinets? And maybe dance around a little with a mask on chanting in a New Orleans accent? Decisions. Decisions.

While I think this over, I have also been trying to decide what to give up for Lent this year. One year I gave up sweets, which is truly my weakness and was definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done. Depriving me of sugar is like asking me to be in a state of cranky for 40 days and 40 nights. Needless to say for the sake of my friends and family, I will not put us all through that again. Last year, I gave up potato products (which sounds weird - but think french fries, potato soup, hash browns, etc.) I made it through okay. I just channeled the 1/8 of me that is Irish to get through the potato dry spell and found myself able to lock up the inner beotch.

So what should I give up this year?

Top 10 Things I Wish I Could Give Up If I Thought They Were Self-Improving and Actually Glorified God:

1. Working out at the gym.
2. Emptying the dishwasher - at work. at home. or otherwise.
3. Reduced fat cheese.
4. Having to fill up my car with gas.
5. Filing taxes. Then re-filing them. Twice. Because I'm an idiot.
6. Picking up my work phone.
7. Sitting in traffic.
8. Parking.
9. Tiredness.
10. Vegetables.

So I ask you - what would Jesus do? I guess I will think this through more while on the elliptical. Yep. Heading to the gym. If I am not giving up potatoes or chocolate, I pretty much am bound to my regimen.

1 comment: