Monday, February 20, 2012

Let there be light

I am finally feeling the spark again. It was dulled for a while as January and I played tug-of-war. But I am happy to say February has slowly become a friend as the days stay lighter longer, and the people in my life continue to remind me of how surrounded I am by light, even when the sun is buried beneath the nasty weather or unnoticed during the daily grind.

While Mondays are typically my least favorite day to wake to, this morning I felt a lightness about the week and even just the work day than normal. This is probably because I had a very enlightening weekend full of good company, home improvements and the following discoveries -

1. I am obsessed the The Fray - Their new album "Scars and Stories" is simply amazing and narrated the car rides of my weekend perfectly. I drive a lot around this town and I always itch for good music to pass the time (and keep me from texting and driving off the road) and this album did just that. Such true artistry and unique song-writing. Check it out! Rainy Zurich is my favorite..."...dancing in a downpour" - genius.

2. Retail therapy is not so therapeutic - I haven't been shopping in while (because I irrationally choose to spend all of my money on food which I then have to turn around and burn off at the gym - very inefficient) but this past weekend I made a fleeting trip to the mall and realized - I am NOT Forever 21. I am 23. I have a budget. And I have TASTE. It was quite depressing as I scanned racks through different stores apathetic and overwhelmed. I feel like we are lacking affordable and yet age and size appropriate options. When it comes to my favorite mall stores, I just cannot afford the clothes I want to wear. I either have to agree to dress like a neon teeny bopper or a 40 year old. My favorite stores are asking 50 dollars for a shirt. For a SHIRT people. Seemingly for a steak, I can justify this. For a piece of clothing I will wear 3 times until it loses it's specialness and becomes a ghost in my closet, no chance. So after 30 minutes I gave up and Brooke and I got a drink and nachos at Broadway Brewhouse to ease my woes. Typical. Thank goodness for Target and Old Navy.

The new light, couch and two tired guys :)
3. I am pitching a new reality show to HGTV - Weston has amazing taste and is really handy around his house. Since spending time with his parents who stayed in town after our Tunica adventures, I understand why. Teresa and David have done so much to help Weston revamp his 1935 house for eventual re-sale and to give him a functional and decorated home to enjoy in the meantime. This past week I have watched them transform his living room from a black cave to a modern, vibrant and functional space. His mom has such a keen eye for design and his dad is handy and skilled. From the new couch, to the freshly painted walls and trim, the room has been reborn. On Sunday we all took a family trip to the Home Depot. Teresa spotted an awesome new light to hang in the living room and when we got home, David and Weston added new outlets and made it work with no real electrical experience. But the best part was the hilarious comments and happenings in between - check your listings soon for "Home Improvement with the Howards." Naturally, I will be the host. Dreams will come true.

Can't you already tell? - this place is cool.
4. I can't pronounce it, but I will promote it - Saturday night Weston and I had a double date with my friend Emma and her new beau at the downtown eatery Mambu (which is like mambo, with a "u". Not like bamboo with an "m" - I had a hard time with this concept). I had never heard of this eclectic and unique independently owned Nashville favorite, but from the moment you step in the doors of the charming house you won't forget it. It was like stepping out of downtown and into a truly mystical twilight zone. The darkly lit flea-market style decor is versatile, flared and vibrant and the cuisine follows suit. From the original drinks to the even more original bartender, to the attentive wait staff, it was a fantastic venue to have a blast with new friends.


5. My mama needs to come home! My wonderful mom who probably doesn't get a shout out enough considering she is a loyal reader has been on a South American cruise to celebrate her (25th) birthday with my step dad. I cannot wait to hear all about their trip but my gosh - her absence makes me realize how many times I reach for the phone to talk to her. It is a true testament to how special she is. Happy birthday my beautiful mama!

With that said - it's Presidents' Day. Many of you have the day off (and I want to punch you all in the face) but with that free time, do the following -

Listen to The Fray CD.
Skip the mall and get a drink.
Watch HGTV.
Eat at Mambu (or a local restaurant you cannot pronounce).
Call your mama.
(And get excited for THE BACHELOR!)

No comments:

Post a Comment