Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weekend sampler platter, with a side of fish sticks

I recognize that my communication with you has been very similar to that of the remaining girls with the Bachelor - lacking any real substance and/ or not present at all. However, I am back after a fun week to fill you in on some of the recent events of my life, and of course on your friend and mine, fish stick.

The stunning and hilarious Jillian.
The weekend:
Friday night I went to see the show Xandu at the Boiler Room Theater in Franklin. One of my most hilarious and talented friends, Jillian, was the lead role and her portrayal of the Greek muse turned Australian roller-skater was a non-stop comedy show. I was so proud to see my friend up there so uninhibited and simply infectious. You couldn't take your eyes off of her. The performance was a great and unexpected highlight to my weekend.

Saturday I saw the movie The Vow with my friend Shane, which was surprisingly great. I am reading the memoir now - the movie is inspired by a true story - and while the screenplay certainly was the Hollywood version of the story, it did not disappoint. I then spent the rest of the afternoon with Sara and Justine during which we watched the most plot-less and gory movie I have ever seen called Drive. Even Ryan Gosling's hotness could not save this one. We decided that if we had made the experience a drinking game and chugged every time there was awkward drawn out silence, we all would have ended up on the floor (or in the hospital). It was bizarre, to say the least.

Little sweetie :)
That night, Weston came to pick me up for our Valentines Day dinner at Cantina Laredo with an "I love you" big balloon, rose, stuffed monkey, pb m&ms (my fav) and sweet card. It has been really nice having a someone this year, since last year I may have thought of this holiday a bit differently. We also got to unexpectedly spend last night together - he was supposed to be out of town. We had pizza, wine and girl scout cookies - which to me was even more perfect than the fancy night out.

Sunday was a really fun Nashville day - Weston and I had breakfast with his parents at the Pancake Pantry (which we all concluded despite the line and legend, did not out shine our personal favorite, Cracker Barrel) and later went downtown to hop in and out of the honky tonks. Despite the cold, it was really fun to be downtown in the day when it wasn't packed with tourists. We capped off the night with a dinner at Demos, a famously delicious Italian eatery on Commerce St, and of course with The Grammys which was bitter sweet in the aftermath of Whitney Houston's passing (So distraught. She was my GURL).

The FISH STICK
The Bachelor: 
This episode was pretty typical Bachelor - unlike last week, the destination was much more in line with what we're used to and the dates were all rainbow covered, unicorn sparkled fairy tales. Yes, Courtney was absolutely crazy as ever and yes, I think she is a miserable human being. But I do think despite her crazy, and in agreement with the rumors, that fish stick picks her - which is simply a testament to the fact that these shows are solely for entertainment and not for finding love, and I'm okay with it. Not to mention it is going to be insane to watch their timely demise go down. I have a feeling it will far surpass the Jake Vienna blow out, and I simply cannot wait.

The one thing that truly struck me this week is just how little substance of conversation goes on during these dates. I realize, we have to consider editing - but I am simply dumbfounded by the surface-level redundancy of these sideline chats:

FS = Fish Stick (Ben, The Bachelor)
G = Could be any of the remaining girls, except envision wild tick-like mouth and lip movement if its Courtney speaking. 

FS: This has been a great day.
G: Yeah. It really has been magical.
FS: So, can you believe we're here?
G: No, it's so amazing and magical.
FS: Yeah.
G: I really feel a connection with you.
FS: Wow, that's really amazing and magical. So are you ready for me to meet your parents?
G: (Fake-out hesitation) You know what Ben. YEAH! I really am. I think it would just be so amazing and magical since I have such an amazing and magical connection with you.
FS: (No words... Kiss attack).

Repeat. Kiss. Repeat. Kiss again. And that concludes the talking part of the date - the part where you are actually getting to know the person you intend to propose to. Crazy.

Now we are down to the final four - home town dates. I am sure I will have a whole entry devoted to that one, so stay tuned :)

1 comment: