We are coming up to two weeks until Valentines Day - quite possibly one of my least favorite days on the planet, and I am certain I will feel this way even when madly in love with a husband hybrid of Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Gosling and Jude Law (specific to his accent and performance in the movie "The Holiday").
 |
| ... I mean what could I have fit in that? |
It is not like being single on Valentines Day has ever made me want to jump off a bridge. My sweet step dad usually gets me roses and I take the time to appreciate all of the valentines in my life - the people I love and who show me love every single day. I am a huge fan of cards (Especially the Just Between You and Me ones that make the recipient cry). I clearly love my sweets, so the excuse to stuff my face with chocolate is a delight and one year Ike even tried to give me a Coach purse which I made him return the next day because we weren't dating and I "simply couldn't accept it." (I should have hung onto that sucker...it was ugly but I could have sold it on ebay - uh, stupid 14-year-old Jenny not being resourceful).
So yes, I usually handle it pretty well - let's put it this way - I handle it much better than I handled life in general yesterday (see previous post). But there is just something about creating a holiday merely to stimulate consumerism in which a couple is pressured into doing something nice for each other and single people can't help but feel a degree more lonely than they actually are that feels so unnatural to me. Probably because I am the latter.
So this Valentines Day I am going to do something awesome. I have absolutely no idea what it is yet.... but you mark my words. It will be EPIC. And all of you couples over your candle-lit dinners acting perfect, getting a sugar high on chocolate covered caramel hearts and ignoring real world problems will be jealous. VERY jealous (say's the girl who is totally okay with being single on Valentines Day.... patiently waiting for her Mister Hybrid Hottie to sweep her off her feet).
No comments:
Post a Comment