We live in a "super size me" society where oftentimes we find ourselves constantly longing for more. I think we expect life to layout before us like a Cheesecake factory menu - where every single possibility is not only within our reach but can and will be ours.
But at what price? In keeping with this analogy - yes you can order practically any food you can dream up from that same menu, but at a minimum of 1,000 calories a bite and a laughable number of grams of fat later. Yes, victory was yours in that moment as you wolfed down some fried buffalo blasts, but after all is said and done, are you truly left satisfied and feeling good inside, or rather wishing you had a made a different choice. Are you truly full, or still left craving for more?
Satisfaction is a very funny thing. The Rolling Stones couldn't get any ;), and really neither can any of us. It seems to me we are always reaching and desiring more. My church is actually doing a series on this idea of "More - Nobody intends to live a life of mediocrity." While I have been loving the message preaching that the opportunity of a lifetime must be seized within the lifetime of the opportunity, part of me wants to know when is what we have and what we are achieving now, enough? Yes you can always push for a deeper relationship with the people you love, for a better understanding of God, for a greater quality of life. And I love that concept of bettering yourself - it is inspiring. But oftentimes if we are always focused on reaching the next level, we don't stop and take the time to not only appreciate but perhaps find fulfillment and gratitude for the level we are on today.
Anyone who knows me knows I am all about goals - always wanting to do and achieve my best. Yes, I am your classic type A over achiever, so reaching for more is not just a concept for me, it is a lifestyle. But recently I have been feeling like I do not take the time to truly evaluate what it is about the "right now" and not the "maybe tomorrow" that I love.
So I challenge you - yes reach for the stars, dream big, and every other cliche in the book. But find your own personal balance. Remember that sometimes mediocrity, status quo, and the little things in life that seems so small can actually fill you up just as much as the big promotion, the corner office, the classy title, and the stellar company. Remind yourself that sometimes ordering the salad instead of the fried macaroni and cheese balls can be just as filling, and clearly a healthier choice. They say with food, everything in moderation. When it comes to reaching for more, certainly never settle, but take the time to be satisfied with the positive and good elements of where you are right now.

Excellent point.
ReplyDelete