Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Channeling Cinderella

This morning at the gym I had quite the Cinderella experience. But not in the "oh my gosh I just met my prince charming kind of way," - Um. NO. My Cinderella moment was related to a slightly different part of the story - leaving one shoe behind.
Yeah, didn't exactly happen this way for me.
I have been feeling sick the past couple of days and after two solid nights of sleep, inhaling clementines like its my job for vitamin C and persistently going to the gym regardless to boost my immune system, I woke up this morning feeling refreshed, not stuffy and ready for a stellar Wednesday. I had a cute outfit planned with a tweed brown pencil skirt and my brown heeled boots, all packed in my bag the night before as I always do. The process of selecting the outfit took a solid 30 minutes of total closet destruction, making the morning happenings even more frustrating. 

So I woke up and went to my routine 6:15am spin class, and finally felt like I had energy. The dude leading the class was a substitute and I am pretty certain he was bionic because I have never seen legs spin that fast, but overall I survived and felt strong. After the class was over, I was all ready to go down to the locker room, have a nice shower, leaving enough time to iron my outfit, curl my hair and be at work on time. The shower was flawless. The ironing went smoothly. But as I reached into my bag at 8:00am to pull out my boots, there was only one boot in the bag. Wishing and hoping that somehow I was overlooking it, that my bag truly was like Mary Poppin's bag and that second boot would magically appear, I kept digging with absolutely no luck. I had forgotten a boot. Outfit ruined. 20 minutes to be at work. Client meeting in the afternoon I had to look presentable at. Rain pouring down outside.

These are the shoes I bought. Cute enough...
Unlike how a Disney Princess would take care of this little problem, I had no squirrels or sweet birds to craft me a new boot out of locker room towels, and my fairy God mother was absolutely no where in sight. Okay - yes - there was this old grandma in the steam room, but I am pretty sure she was lacking magical powers. I am a size 11, so it is not like these clown feet could squeeze into my co-workers heels and so I wore my bright teal shower flip flops out into the rain and drove to the closest store I knew would have some shoes, but it was not open. So out into rush hour traffic I rode as I arrived at a nearby target and bought some flats - and I truly hate flats. I feel like I am wearing skis when I wear flats because my feet are so big. I did find a decent pair, and luckily I had an extra pair of jeans in my car so I changed my pants mid-commute (surely to the delight of truck drivers all around me) and made it to work only ten minutes late.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Take the time to double check and follow your instincts - your gut intuition - no matter what time of day. A voice in my head was telling me as I was walking out to my car this morning that my bag felt too light - I ignored that voice. However, that same voice told me last night to pack an extra pair of jeans in case the skirt did not work out and good thing I did, or else that would have been an all-day long fashion emergency.

So here's to hoping that some of the other parts of Cinderella's story start becoming my life as well... like the fancy gown and the prince charming. Now that would make for a great morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment