Monday, January 30, 2012

I am now half Indian.

Monica in her beautiful Indian dress.
The friendships in my life I know are true withstand the test of time: the ups and downs, the ebbs and flows and the miles between (and yes - the caddy mean-girl pms-ing episodes of mania that often accompany having a hoohah). Women are known to be highly emotional people and I can admittedly say I am president of this club (time to make me a freakin T-shirt). Which is why it is so rare to find a friend who sticks around through it all and makes you want to do the same.

Monica is one of the most warm and compassionate people I know. She is a nurse at Duke hospital, she has a love for all animals and is especially proud of her four dogs (I am surprised they do not have their own facebook pages yet - I can only imagine what will happen when she has children). We have been best friends for almost a decade and for a Yankee from CT who moved in the middle of high school to find a normal girl who shared the same passion for Celine Dion and cheese is really a miracle. Let's just say, I sat alone in the cafeteria for the better part of Junior year until Monica and I had English together, didn't like each other AT ALL (I was the teachers pet and she was the honey badger who didn't give a s*it but was brilliant anyways) - and yet were forced to do a group project together. And that's where it all began... Romantic, I know.  She is a person I know will be in my life forever because she is family. And this weekend was a perfect reminder of that!

Michelle and Satchi at their wedding in India!
Friday afternoon I flew back home to Cary, NC to celebrate Monica's oldest sister Michelle's marriage to Satchi - a man who seriously looks like Prince Aladdin - at Prestonwood Country club. It was the most beautiful reception celebrating their wedding which took place in India late last year. The linens were a bright teal with gold napkins and accents. The center pieces were gorgeous and the entire event was a party from start to finish. Both families are Indian and there were cultural flares woven into every detail. The DJ spun mash-ups of Indian music with top 40's hits and had a live drummer - the beats were incredible and the dance floor was covered the entire night.

Listen, Indians know how to get down, but I was prepared. Boy BFF Ike, was my date and he spun me around the dance floor all night breaking out our classic swing moves and burning off the calories from the amazing Indian-inspired, yet eclectic buffet. And apparently, we made quite the impression! (Let's just say, dance-offs with Indians are even more fun than dance-offs with black guys).
Me and Ike after owning the dance floor.

It was simply perfect, and one of the best nights I have had in a long time. Being home with my family and being apart of this special day reminded me of how fortunate I am to be apart of their family too. This basically means I am half Indian.

So when you come to my wedding and there is an Indian drummer and the soundtrack to Slum Dog Millionaire playing, don't ask questions. You should now understand.



An extra photo  - The beautiful table setting! All of my favorite colors. Therefore, I'm Indian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment