Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring fever.

Happy 1st birthday sweet Everley!
After some much needed spring cleaning this weekend and beautiful 80 degree sunshine, spring 2012 has officially begun. I truly believe my winter funk has lifted, and so, in true Jenny fashion, I am now diagnosing myself with yet another mother nature induced state - full on spring fever.I am really excited about heading into April. Things are coming full circle, capping off certainly the most self-revealing, exciting, roller coaster of a year - but I can say with confidence I wouldn't have had it any other way.

A year ago today, sweet Everley Burton had her life-saving surgery and thinking back on that day - on how scared I was for her, and for the Burton family, and how God truly pulled through a miracle - is humbling and just what I need to lift out of the mundane woes of a work day.  Looking back, this moment is what truly began a year that challenged and strengthened my faith in so many ways.

In Chicago last August for W's bday!
Everley was not the only person to grace my life that spring. Last April I met Weston. If you haven't gathered this yet from reading - yes, he is my boyfriend. Yes, he has a cool name. And if you are doing the math - yes that will put us at one whole year together. It is hard to believe a year has gone by, and yet in many ways I can't imagine him not being in my life. We have certainly become best friends, been through a lot, but what has surprised me most is how much I have learned about myself and grown through this relationship. No. I am not about to get all sappy. No one wants to read that. What people do want to read is the truth - nothing is perfect and for a perfectionist who has watched far too many romantic movies to have her feet remotely on the ground, it has not always been easy. Growing with someone is just that - growing. And that comes with growing pains just as it did in middle school when there were days you were seasonably confused and thus awkwardly dressed in a mini skirt and Uggs. But it has also been exciting and memorable. And no matter what happens, or where life takes us, I am very grateful he has been in my life.

Okay - since you probably saw the word "boyfriend" and skipped right over that paragraph in hopes of missing some melodramatic hallmark card, channel back in. It's over.

Let this be you - sort of. You get it...
For as much change as I have experienced in the past year, I can only hope that continues. I want my life to be ever-changing. I have high hopes for what is to come and none of them involve settling for "good enough." Unlike New Years day when the pressure is on for resolutions and life change, spring is a more subtle and lovely reminder that even in the darkest and coldest of days, the sun will come out again and new life will grow. Today I feel empowered, not intimidated. I feel hopeful and excited.

With that, I challenge you to look at your life like a seed in the ground. Don't deny yourself of sun, water, or a rich foundation. You can have all of those things. Learn what you truly need and want, nurture your life with people, a career, and activities that provide food for your soul, and you will flourish. Instead of waiting for someone or something to come around, cultivate your own life. This takes reflection, self-awareness, and courage, which is not always easy to tap into. But what better time than spring to not only clean out your closet to make room for new fashion, but to also spend some time cleaning out your soul to make room for greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment