Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Sunday blues...

It is Sunday afternoon and I have been in bed all day, which has been nice and is something I rarely do. But there is always this itch inside of me to get up and do something fun because before I know it, it is Monday again, and I feel like I need to pack the weekends with as much social time as possible to make them count. This can sometimes be a great idea and has led to some great summer memories, but it has also prevented me from being able to enjoy time on my own, and find peace in quiet moments with no schedule and no where to be. I can sit and watch TV with someone and feel just fine - the presence of that other person makes it feel okay. But when I am entirely alone, I feel like I am missing out on something bigger and better that I should be doing. And instead of appreciating what I have done that weekend, I wonder what my free time would have been like had I done something else. And there just never seems to be enough time for it all.

The weekends always fly by so fast. The work week isn't so bad, but I am starting to feel the exhaustion of a very busy schedule, and wishing that the weekends were not the flash in the pan they always seem to be.

In college I always had three day weekends - I planned my class schedule to have Fridays off - and so I have gotten very used to long weekends as being the norm. And now I realize that it was such a luxury. On Thursday night the weekend begins, and you can go out late and sleep in on Friday, wake up and get the things done you have to. While everyone else is finishing up classes, you already feel rejuvenated for the Friday night fun. On Saturday, the heart of the weekend, you already feel like you have had a bit of a break, and you still have a whole day and night left to enjoy. Sunday would ALWAYS suck because it would mean homework time, but it was a solid day of rest and work, powering me back up for Monday - usually having my first class later in the afternoon.

Now, it is work until 5pm on Friday, before I know it it is Saturday and while I don't have to do homework on Sunday, the entire two day break flies by. And then just like that it is Monday again... and it will be like this for the REST OF MY LIFE. No summer break... no fall break... no two weeks at Christmas break... no skipping a day here and there. Okay let's be honest, I never skipped class, but even just knowing that I could was nice... and there was so much variety to the day - going from class to class, working out at different times, have hours of breaks between classes, and meeting up with friends at every turn. I don't miss college per say, and at the end I couldn't wait to get out, but I do miss the variety of a college schedule.

But as school starts back up for most, the back to school commercials play, and yellow school buses flood the morning commute, I find myself truly content with not going back to the stress of class, homework, tests, sorority drama, meetings, meetings, and MORE MEETINGS, not to mention college boys who have no concept of dating and don't know how to function without a keg on stand by.... I don't miss any of that.

With this new chapter of change, I have become even more aware of what the schedule of an adult is really like, and I need to acknowledge that it is okay that it takes a whole lot more sleep to maintain it with sanity. Because in the end, I would not choose to go back to college. They say the grass is always greener on the other side, but my life here in Nashville - despite the work week, 5:30am wake up call and costly social life, is greener. The"best four years of my life," are yet to come. Or maybe they start now.

But the Sunday blues feels the same regardless of whether I am in my childhood bedroom, a college dorm, or my apartment in Nashville. Yes, Sundays suck. Maybe it is time to get out of bed and do something fun? We'll see. Center Stage just came on Lifetime. Yep... looks like I'm staying in bed for a little while longer :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect Sunday to me. Wait until children come along, this day you just described will seem like heaven. hahaha

    ReplyDelete